Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Making of Viking

I love the TV Show "Vikings" and always thought the characters were so well created. I wanted to create a new portfolio piece so I thought "paint what you love". I have a vision in my head of a collage I wanted to depict. So, I searched the web for the images to combine and I came up with these 3 below. After that it was just a matter of putting them together to bring out the best of the main character. 



I start as usual by doing a rough drawing for placement and to get a general tone for where I want to take it. I scan that sketch into Photoshop and then it is off to the races. As you can see I start by setting my drawing to multiply in Photoshop layers so that it is transparent. I then do a rough layer underneath that drawing mainly to just block in basic colors and shading. After that I add another layer on top of the drawing and start the process of slowly building up opaque colors, strokes, dots, and swashes using about a dozen different brushes for different effects.





No comments:

Post a Comment